Dermalogica BioActive™Peel vs Chemical Peel
Remember the episode from Sex In The City when Samantha had a peel and looked liked a tomato for days after? The BioActive Peel is NOT that kind of peel!
Most of us are under the impression that a chemical peel involves pain, redness and obnoxious amounts of skin peeling. Some also feel if there is no pain or abundant peeling, then it wasn’t a good peel. That is not always the case.
Many clients seek out overly aggressive peels or skin resurfacing treatments in the hopes they will reduce the signs of premature aging. Unfortunately, the side effects of these treatments, most notably inflammation, actually age the skin more by damaging the delicate skin structure at the layers associated with cell birth. BioActive™ Peel is especially designed to deliver all the benefits of a chemical peel without the scarring, damage and down time.
BioActive woks via a layering technique. The strength and depth are controlled by your trained professional skin therapist based on the number of layers applied and the amount of time the product is left on the skin during the treatment.
- The Prep Solution is a potent hydroxyl complex that helps to maximize the penetration of the peeling agents. 20% Salicylic acid leaves the skin soft, smooth and free of inflammation – the perfect canvas for the ultimate peel.
- The Enzyme Active utilizes pumpkin and papaya enzymes (AHA’s). To loosen the “glue” that bonds dead skin cells to new skin cells, which make the skin look dull and trap excess oil. Sayonara, ugly skin cells!
- The Acid Active (AKA the “main event”) has 30% lactic acid and 15% TCA. It can be layered to a maximum of five times depending on the condition of the skin and desired results. Your skin is carefully monitored during this time to ensure safe and optimal skin resurfacing results.
- Finally, the De-celerator halts the exfoliation process, decreases the activity of the acids and normalizes the epidermis. It does this while calming and igniting the process of skin repair. Green tea, Oat Leaf Extract and Cucumber are the perfect ingredients for soothing and repairing.
How Does BioActive Feel?
Most clients report some tingling but it general it is pain-free. We’ve had some clients who say they feel almost nothing, however this is rare. Most of the tingling occurs during the acid active phase but will soothe down completely shortly after the de-celerator is applied. Rest assured you are in safe hands as our estheticians are certified BioActive specialists! In fact, we are not allowed to purchase this professional-only treatment from Dermalogica without first undergoing the training. That is how serious they are about professionalism and safety.
The Immediate Results
Immediately after BioActive , most clients look radiant and refreshed. In fact, some clients leave less red than when they walked in. Your skin will definitely feel tighter and firmer immediately after this skin resurfacing treatment.
Longer Term Results
Many clients have reported a glowing skin, improved elasticity and significant improvement in overall skin tone. As with any skin care regimen, results can take anywhere from 2 – 4 weeks to show as this is how long it takes for skin to renew itself. You can expect improved results when the BioActive is done in a series as recommended by your skin therapist.
Two to three days after the treatment, you may experience slight peeling in certain areas however this won’t cause any pain or discomfort. Results will depend on your skin condition and how frequently you receive BioActive skin resurfacing treatments.
Post Peel Insights
Immediately following the treatment and for 3 weeks post, wear a minimum of SPF 30 when exposed to the sun.
On the day of the treatment, you should avoid strenuous exercise or prolonged exposure to heat sources such as dry saunas and steam rooms. The increased circulation could lead to increased sensitivity to itching/prickling, redness, inflammation or swelling.
We highly recommend that you use the After Care kit to enhance and extend the results of your treatment. The after care kit includes the UltraCalming™ Cleanser, Multivitamin Thermafoliant, Intensive Moisture Balance, Barrier Repair and Super Sensitive Shield SPF30. This is the best way to treat and protect your skin after the peel.
Although you will see good results from one BioActive treatment, a series of 3 – 6 (twice per year) will return optimal results. For Aging/Pigmentation/Acne we recommend the peels 2 – 4 weeks apart. For sensitive skin, 3 – 4 weeks apart is recommended. Remember that your skin concerns may have occurred over several years. It therefore makes sense that they cannot be eliminated in one quick session.
Pre – Peel Considerations
As a general rule, it is good practice to discontinue the use of prescribed exfoliations (such as Retin-A and Renova) at least 48 hours prior to and during BioActive Peel treatments. You should not have used Isotretinoin (also known as Accutane) within the last 6 months.
You should not have had any facial waxing within the past 72 hours.
The BioActive Peel is not recommended during pregnancy.
BioActive Peel is a professional-strength chemical peel with a low pH that should only be administered by seasoned or advanced Professional Skin Therapists who work at qualified skin centers AND have completed the required class certification. Dermalogica accounts are required to complete in order to administer and carry the peel in their skin center.
BioActive Quick Facts
- Complimentary consultations are available to determine if the BioActive Peel is a good option for you.
- You will not experience any “down time” after the Peel.
- The BioActive is done in layers which ensure safe and controlled exfoliation of your skin.
- Possible contraindications, expectations and concerns will be discussed with you prior to your treatment.
- For best results, a series of 3 – 6 (twice per year) along with the BioActive After Care kit is recommended.
- The BioActive Peel is a 45 – 60 minute treatment.
1 Treatment – $125
Series of 3 – 350
After Care Kit – $30
Consultation – Complimentary
We hope you’ve found this blog helpful but please remember we are always happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Please call us at 561-208-8111. For more information on BioActive directly from Dermalgoica – click here.